Thursday, November 1, 2007

nursing my chosen profession

As I looked back and recall my first day in San Juan de Dios, I discreetly repress a smile. I remembered that day very well. It was not tough infact it is one of those times when everything goes right. I came to school early that morning without knowing what would happen to me. I'm a bit anxious...All I know is that it would be the start of my nursing career in this institution.

As I clearly remembered it, one of our professors asked us why we took up nursing. At first I find it hard to answer but in order for me not to be humiliated in front of my classmates I answered it plain and short…”because of my mother”. My professor asked me why, I was hesitant to answer because i dont know what to tell...Nursing is not actually my choice. Both my parents want me to be a nurse...so I have no option, all I could do is to follow them.

For almost two years it was I believed…that I have no choice but to obey even if I didn’t like it....Many things happened...we were exposed in the clinical area, given lots of responsibilities and the greatest among is to deal with patient’s life. As I observed during my duties, being a nurse takes a lot of courage, patience and diligence. It entails lots of responsibilities. Early in the morning we received our endorsement, do the rounds and greet the patient assigned to us, establish rapport, take the vital signs, provide morning and bedside care, perform special procedures, give medications, do charting and proper documentation. These are the daily routines of a nurse. It is indeed tiring but if you are able to accomplish it at the end of the shift you feel proud. I for one experienced it. It felt so good. Your effort will be paid off by the satisfaction you get seeing the patient smiles and in good condition and hearing their heartfelt gratitude for the service you rendered.

So if ever someone would ask me again the same question, “why did you take up nursing?” I would proudly answer it plain and simple... "because of the satisfaction I get every time a patient appreciate the care i've given...”. I’m proud to be a nurse and I know that I have made the right choice.

No comments: