Friday, September 17, 2010

application essay

Mafi Fulos is an Arabic phrase which means “no money”. It was actually the first phrase I learned when I was new in United Arab Emirates. Now that I’m 3 years here, although I can’t speak Arabic fluently, I knew a lot of words and phrases already. It was not that easy and until now I’m striving and still on the process of learning. Since my Arabic vocabulary is very limited, I experienced difficulty communicating effectively with patient because not all of them can speak and understand English. This is just one of the many challenges I need to face in a foreign country like this. Working abroad requires nurses including me to be more competent in dealing with the demands brought about by race and culture differences, new working environment, language barrier and many other factors. Only through education and specialization can enable nurses to meet these demands and challenges.

I am Charo Adame, 25 years old, a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Nursing Batch 2006. I have learned the basic of my profession. However, I knew I still have a lot to learn and I am genuinely interested in acquiring more knowledge on my chosen field. I am part of the Nursing Research Committee in the hospital where I am working. And for this year 2010, I recently joined the Education and Training Committee in the same hospital. If ever I will be given a chance to be a part of your master’s program, it will allow me to build on the foundations needed for me to be able to perform my duties as a nurse and at the same time as a member of the committee I am currently in right now.

As for my professional and personal growth, I feel the need for masteral study. It involves a lot of hard work and commitment and I think I am ready for it. Before, I was once frustrated by my lack of direction. I already applied in your graduate school last 2007 but was not accepted because I don’t have enough clinical experience that time. I didn’t try to apply again the following year because I already got a job here in UAE and it will be impossible for me to attend the regular classes. Only after 3 yrs, I was able to know through internet that you are also offering distance education. I just hope that maybe this time I will be given a chance. I know exactly what I want now, that is to earn a master’s degree with major in Adult Health Nursing.

Achieving a master’s degree can open doors for other opportunities for me related to my profession. In the years ahead, I hope to get a position at a hospital or other medical institution wherein I can indulge in my primary interest, which is to be part of a scientific research. I also want to devote myself in teaching. I am more excited and enthusiastic in achieving my academic goals. I realized that by consistently working towards it, however small they may seem I can accomplish what I set for myself.

2 comments:

dr.antony said...

That was good.
Who can refuse you an admission,if they read what you have written?
Start reading,you are already accepted!
There are many things missing from the career.Our career stands apart from others,because of the human touch.Be kind enough to give from your experience.
When you get sick,you will know the fear and tension and sheer ignorance of ordinary people. Being an attendant to sick parents,you will learn how difficult it is to watch your dear ones suffer.
You will be able to forgive them and will be unaffected by comments and complaints.
And don't forget to eat the dessert, we have to do all the stuff together, in time.

crazycha18 said...

its more easy to take care of stranger than taking care of your loved ones...